RULES FOR CHANGE OF BRANCH
1. A student admitted to a particular branch of the B. Tech course will normally continue studying in that branch till completion.
2. However, in special cases the Institute may permit a student to change from one branch of studies to another after the first two semesters. Such changes will be permitted, strictly in accordance with the provisions laid down hereinafter.
3. Only those students will be eligible for consideration for a change of branch after the Second (Spring) Semester, who have
i. Completed all the credits prescribed in the first semesters of their studies, in their first attempt without having had to pass any course requirement in the special examination and/ or summer quarter.
ii. Obtained a CGPA, at the end of the Second (Spring) Semester, not lower than 8.0 for a change to another Engineering discipline.
4. Students admitted to 4 - Year B. Tech. Programs are eligible for consideration for a change of branch to any Engineering course.
Application for a change of branch must be made by intending eligible students in the form prescribed for this purpose. The faculty incharge (academics) will call for application sometime in the Spring Semester of each academic year and the completed forms must be submitted to him by the last date specified in his notification.
5. Students may enlist up to five choices of branch, In order of preference, to which they wish to change over. It will not be permissible to alter the choices after the application has been submitted.
6. Change of branch shall be made strictly on the basis of inter -se- merit of the applicants. For this purpose the CGPA obtained at the end of the second (Spring) Semester shall be considered. Ties will be broken by the rank of qualifying examination of the applicants.
i. In making the change of branch, those applicants shall be first considered who have secured a rank within top 1% (one percent), rounded to the nearest integer, amongst all the first year students in terms of the CGPA scored at the end of the second (spring) Semester. Change of branch requested by such applicants shall be made without any constraint.
ii. The remaining applicants may be allowed a change of branch, strictly in order of inter- se- merit, subject to the limitation that the actual number of students in the third (Autumn) Semester, in the branch to which the transfer is to be made, does not exceed 110% of the sanctioned yearly intake for that Branch.
iii. Also such change from any branch is to be made keeping in view that the total strength of the branch does not fall below 90% of the exiting/ sanctioned yearly intake for that branch. The sanctioned yearly intake of a particular branch shall be the number sanctioned by the Senate as the intake for that branch for the particular year of entry of the applicants. To compute the total number of students in the first year, sum of the sanctioned yearly intake of all the branches will be taken.
For the purpose of calculating the actual number of students in a particular branch, the number of students joining the branch under Clause 6 (i) is to be included.
7. All changes of branch made in accordance with the above rules will be effective from the Third (Autumn) Semester of the applicants concerned. No changes of branch shall be permitted here after.
8. All changes of branch will be final and binding on the applicants. No student will be permitted, under any circumstances, to refuse the change of branch offered,
9. Notwithstanding the provisions of foregoing paragraphs the Senate may, under very special circumstances, permit the transfer of a student from one branch to another, in deviation of the above mentioned rules. In each such case the special reasons for which the transfer is permitted must be recorded in the Senate resolution. Such transfers, if any, will be over and above the regular transfers, and their number will not be counted in the computation of 'Actual Number of Students'
in a given branch